Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Annual Loom Maintenance
I don't know if you've noticed, but I haven't been doing a lot of weaving lately. I finally finished off those tencel scarves, and am happy with the results. But I decided that I need a fresh start to get me rolling again.
The Mighty Wolf has been giving me a little trouble here and there. I've spent the last couple of evenings tending to it, hoping it will behave better in the future. I removed all the harnesses and strings from the frame, folded it up and cleaned under and around it. Then I cleaned and oiled all the wood. I took the harnesses outside and oiled them as well.
Now I plan to find some plastic washers to deal with those back harnesses that always want to stick in the raised position. I've decided that all of the harnesses push toward the back of the loom as I weave, meaning that the back harnesses are squeezed against the back, creating too much friction to move freely. I think with some plastic washers I can create enough space to keep that from happening. Maybe I'll try to get some pictures of what I'm talking about, once it is all assembled again.