Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Whale Inlay and Embroidery




You may remember the Whale from this and this post. The embroidery did not take a very long time, but I got hung up on the teeth. I couldn't draw on the fabric because it had too much texture - I tried various forms of chalk and white pencil, but it wouldn't take. So I had to do most of the embroidery freehand. For the body shape, I followed the edges of the inlay, which is a lighter blue that is hard to see in these pictures. But the details were just my best try. I think it turned out pretty well.

I just framed it last week. It isn't the best frame in the world, but it fits!

Friday, May 13, 2011

New Weaving Space

Now that my weaving room/office has become the nursery, we had to find a new space for my weaving stuff. Thus the weaving corner was created:With a little rearranging, and some relocating of furniture, we carved out a corner of our upstairs TV room for my loom, yarn, and other craft tools.
We also "built" a new desk out of a filing cabinet, an old shelf, and a piece of plywood. And it is big enough to double as a sewing space (if I clear it off a little bit).
It isn't as bright and cheerful as the lovely room downstairs was, but I am adapting to it very well. And I'm hoping to dress that loom very soon! I have a project in mind, but with three weeks left in the school year and 8 weeks until baby, I'm not too ambitious.

You can see pictures of my old weaving room in this old post. Check out the color of those walls! We really toned it down for the nursery.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Nursery Curtains

I haven't posted anything in a long time, but that doesn't mean I haven't been making things. Between grad school, and pregnancy, and a poorly functioning camera, I just haven't had the motivation to post anything on this blog.

But my birthday was this week and I received an awesome new camera! So I will try to be better about showing off some of my projects.

In other relevant news, I moved my weaving room/office out of the front room downstairs so that we could convert that room into a nursery. Over Spring Break we painted and made curtains, and now it is a whole new room.